Zacherl, O'Malley &
Endejan, S.CFond Du Lac Law

Logo light

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the Fee Arrangements?

The initial consultation is FREE with all of our attorneys. We recognize every circumstance is unique; however, the following arrangements are general guidelines our firm follows: Each separate area of law has a different fee arrangement. If the type of law you are pursuing is not included below, please contact us at (920) 922-7220 or

There is no upfront cost in this matter. A) One-fourth (1/4) of the gross recovery if settlement is reached before an action, panel proceeding, or arbitration matter is commenced plus costs. B) One-third (1/3) of the gross recovery after commencement of an action, panel proceeding, or arbitration matter plus costs.
There is no upfront cost in this matter. Twenty percent (20%) of the amount at which such claim is compromised or of the amount awarded, adjudged, or collected plus costs subject to the approval of the Board of Worker's Compensation, and no fee of more than $250.00 shall be paid under the contract unless approved by the Board.
A retainer fee is a due upfront before any representation takes place. The amount due varies depending on the type of charge (felony vs. misdemeanor; ordinance vs. criminal) and the number of violations charged in addition to the County where the violation took place. Payment plans are considered if the charged party can develop a co-signor.
We have standard charges for completing real estate forms and preparing the standard estate planning forms, i.e., simple will or will with trust for minor children; durable power of attorney, power of attorney for health care.
Any attorney performing services for the estate of a deceased person shall be entitled to just and reasonable compensation for such services. While no fee is required upfront, services will be billed hourly. A bill for services is available at any point during the pendency of the action, but typically no fees will be due until the completion of the estate and shall be paid out of the estate assets.
A retainer fee will be due when retaining the firm, which will be deposited in trust and billed monthly. The retainer fee will depend on the circumstances of the case, the disputed issues, and the anticipated amount of time that will need to be put into the resolution of the matter.

When Do I Need to Hire an Attorney?

You can hire an attorney for an automobile accident as soon as you realize some damages will need to be paid, typically when the collision occurs. Damages include but are not limited to automobile repair, rental car expenses, medical bills, and loss of earnings.
Representation is typically required when one or more benefit is not paid, e.g., you've missed time off of work based on your doctor's restrictions, and the insurance company is balking at making the payment. A denial is required at this point, or the damages need to be paid. Once your benefits have been denied, preferably in writing, we can begin to assist you in recovering those damages. If you've been terminated from your job when you were in the healing period, you've been denied benefits.
We recommend you not make any statements to the police without an attorney present. An attorney in a criminal matter is required ASAP, even before filing charges. In traffic matters, once you've received a citation, consult with an attorney to see what your rights are. There are critical time limits that need to be followed when arrested for an OWI, and you should be sure to consult with an attorney within one week of this arrest.
Estate planning is an opportunity to influence the future. It may be critical for the survivors you leave behind, most importantly your family. It is your voice once you're no longer here to be heard.
Once you've been denied your unemployment insurance benefits, you should seek representation to advise you on the law and clarify when you are and are not due benefits based upon the law.
We can most efficiently and thoroughly represent you if we are "on board" from the commencement of the action and have been included in all of the beginning aspects of the case, including the initial temporary hearing and orders. A divorce action is typically started by filing with the court a series of papers and the serving copies of these papers upon the opposite spouse. The parties need to have a living arrangement established during the pendency of the divorce action. Therefore, along with the first group of papers, it usually contained an Order to Show Cause or a Motion requesting relief under a Temporary Order. The Temporary Order usually results from a short hearing held before the Family Court Commissioner a week or two after the service of the above papers. This Temporary Order will govern custody, visitation, use of property, support, maintenance, and other items as needed to be adjusted between the parties during the pendency of the action.
If you are buying or selling a property or have issues with boundaries, contracts or easements, etc., we can assist you with representation in preparing the documents required by the State of Wisconsin for disclosure purposes, etc. Fees vary for real estate assistance depending on the time and documentation preparation necessary.